As you recall, a written exam awaits you when you return. You will be asked to write about how mammals maintain one aspect of their homeostasis. The following is a list of topics I will accept:
- Temperature regulation - hormonal: I am looking for you to describe how the endocrine system controls metabolism and therefore heat production and body temperature.
- Maintenance of life during hibernation: see the chapter 29 Q and QA plus other bits through the chapter. A good paper will describe how a ground squirrel can survive the winter despite not having sufficient food or fat reserves.
- Temperature regulation - inputs and outputs: in total, animals regulate their body temperature by controlling the variables in the heat budget equation. For this question, write about examples of how various animals control all the components of the heat budget equation.
- Blood oxygen/carbon dioxide balance: describe how the these are detected and how heart and respiration rates are controlled.
- Blood glucose balance: this is not a topic we covered. But if you read section 39.4 I am confident that you will understand how it works and will be able to write a good paper.
- Blood pressure regulation: see section 38.6 to refresh your mind. A discussion of nervous and hormonal regulation should be included.
If you have a question about this post leave a comment. I will monitor the blog form time to time.
Be sure to tell the others about this post so they are ready.
See you Monday.